There are a number of people around the world who want to visit Australia for several reasons. It can be for tourism, work, medical reasons, and even for study. People opt for different kinds of Australian visas to visit the country. However, if you are an oversea student and want to study in Australia you can apply for a temporary graduate visa subclass 485.
This visa is for international students worldwide who are completing their studies in Australia. Under this visa, students can stay in Australia from 18 months to four years based on the circumstances. During the stay, students can avail studying and full work rights in Australia. In this blog, you will learn about some frequently asked questions about the 485 visa.
Important FAQs about Temporary Graduate Visa 485
What is a Temporary Graduate Visa 485?
A temporary graduate visa subclass 485 is a type of visa in Australia that allows you to study, live and work in Australia. There are four streams under this visa, namely:
- Graduate work stream
- Post-study work stream
- Second post-study work stream
- Replacement stream
The visa cost and length of the stay will depend on the 485 subclass visa stream you apply for.
You also might like to read: 10 Common Refusal Reasons For Temporary Graduate Visa 485
What Do a Temporary Graduate Visa 485 Lets You Do in Australia?
The 485 subclass visa allows applicants to stay in Australia to live, work, and study there. As per the recent visa updates from July 1, 2022, the present and former visa 485 holders who lost their time due to the COVID-19 pandemic can apply for a replacement visa. To be eligible, they need to:
- Possess a temporary graduate visa (visa 485 Australia) or should have already had a temporary graduate visa that ended on or after February 1, 2020.
- Have been outside of the country for at least a day between February 1, 2020, and December 15, 2021.
What Are the Requirements of Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485?
Some of the 485 visa requirements that are applicable for this visa are as follows:
- To propose a Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List, you need to look at the ‘employer sponsored’ tab to find this specific list.
You are required to pass the health and character requirements for this visa.
- You also need to have proper health insurance to be able to receive this visa.
- During your residency in the country, you must obey all the Australian rules and regulations.
- If you or your parents have any debt from the Australian government, it must be paid back.
- You need to be under 50 years of age to be suitable for this visa.
- You must not have had your previous visa canceled.
- You should not previously hold this visa or a 476 visa.
- You must pass the English language test (6 overall and 5 for each area of the IELTS test). However, you do not need to fulfill this requirement if you have a passport from Canada, the UK, the US, or New Zealand.
- You need to have a student visa with you currently or must have had a student visa with you in the last six months while having a bridging visa.
You must keep this 485 visa checklist in mind before applying for this visa. This will ensure that the Department of Home Affairs does not refuse your visa.
What Is the Processing Time of Subclass 485 Visa Australia?
The 485 visa processing time is as follows:
- Around 25% of the applications are processed in nine months.
- Around 50% of the applications are processed in eleven months.
- Around 75% of the applications are processed in thirteen months.
- Around 90% of the applications are processed in seventeen months.
- There may be further delay if you do not keep specific 485 visa requirements in time.
- What is the Difference between Temporary Graduate Visa 485 and Visa 500?
The visa 500 or student visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to five years for full-time study at any educational institution. Under this visa, you can take part in an eligible study course, including family members in your application. You can work for around 40 hours every fortnight after your course begins.
Under the visa 485, you can remain in Australia to live, work or study. There are four streams under the 485 Visa in Australia, unlike the 500 visas.
Can I Work in Australia with a Temporary Graduate Visa 485?
If you have a subclass 485 visa in Australia, you will receive full-time work rights till the duration of the visa. If you want to continue to stay in Australia after the expiry of your visa subclass 485, you can apply for a new visa. But the visa you need to apply for needs a different subclass other than 485 subclass visas.
How Long Can I Stay in Australia with a Subclass 485 Visa Australia?
The 485 subclass visa granted under the graduate work stream is valid for around 18 months from the date the visa is granted. The PSWV visas are valid for two to four years from the date it is granted. It depends mostly on the qualification that is completed.
The validity periods for the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 are as follows:
- Two years: Completion of Masters by Coursework, Masters, Bachelor, and Bachelor with honors.
- Three years: Masters in research
- Four years: Doctorate
What is the Cost of a Temporary Graduate Visa 485?
For the subclass 485 visa, the cost is around AUD 1730. The cost for the 485 subclass visa can be found on the government website of Australia for a visa.
Also read this: Student Visa Extension 2022 Australia
Do I Need to Complete an English Test for a Subclass 485 Visa?
Yes, for the 485 subclass visa, you might need to provide proof of your English language proficiency as a part of the visa application. You can take the IELTS test and receive relevant scores that improve your chances of receiving the subclass 485 visa in Australia.
How Does Migration Agent Perth Help?
You may need the help of the best immigration service in Perth to properly fill in the 485 visa application. If you want to ensure that your visa does not get rejected, you need to fulfill all the criteria and make no mistakes. You can contact Migration Agent Perth, a reputed firm in Australia.
They can provide you with the best immigration agents in Perth for help in the visa filing process. They can aid in filling up your visa application form and provide you with the latest updates about the 485 visa.