Helping hand to your Australian citizenship application
Migration Agent Perth, a renowned migration and visa servicing firm based in Australia, helps applicants looking forward to apply for a citizenship of Australia. We are here to simplify this tedious application process for you. We will answer all your queries regarding how to apply for Australian citizenship or what are documentations and how long does it take to get Australian citizenship. Here are a few details that might help ease your application process; in case you need any clarifications or require our aid, you can call us or email us regarding your issues.
Citizenship categories in Australia
The Australian Government has defined various categories based on citizenship criteria. Thus, it is important to understand and choose the one that fits best with your situation.
- Adopted child of an Australian citizen
- Born outside Australia to an Australian citizen
- Child of a former Australian citizen
- Migrant with permanent residence
- Citizen of New Zealand living in Australia
- Partner of an Australian citizen
- Resume Australian citizenship
- Refugee or humanitarian entrants
1. There are certain miscellaneous categories for people who do not satisfy some or all criteria for the categories.
2. One can also apply for evidence of Australian Citizenship or renounce their citizenship of Australia.
For any queries in regards to how to select the appropriate category or how to apply for Australian citizenship, our staff would be happy to solve them for you.
Eligibility criteria for an Australian Citizenship
Australian Department of Immigration has defined many category specific eligibility criteria. The common requirements to qualify for the citizen are listed below.
- Applicant must be of good character (as defined by Australian Government)
- Applicant should be a permanent resident of Australia (resident for at least 4 years at the time of application).
- Applicant must be a child of an Australian citizen (in case applicant was born outside of Australia) or partner of an Australian citizen (in case applicant is moving to the country with them)
- The applicant must satisfy the residence requirement criteria.
- Basic knowledge of English language
Note: The applicants must satisfy these mandatory markers, as well as the category specific criteria. Feel free to contact us at our client servicing department for more details.
For evidence of citizenship applications, the applicant must hold an Australian citizenship certificate or should be born in or outside Australia before August 1986. The department has miscellaneous requirements for other cases.
Forms Applicable for different categories
- Form 118 (For Australian citizenship by descent)
- Form 119 (For evidence of Australian citizenship)
- Form 128 (For renunciation of Australian citizenship)
- Form 132 (To resume Australian citizenship)
- Form 1272 (Australian citizenship for adopted children)
- Form 1290 (Australian citizenship – Other situations)
- Form 1300t (Australian citizenship – General eligibility)
Note: The Applicants can apply for Australian citizenship online, or can submit a paper application. All forms and annexures are available on the immigrations website.
Documents for Online Application of Australian Citizenship
For online applications, scanned copies of all documents and attachments can be uploaded on the application portal. While for the paper applications, the copies of original documents must be certified by a designated officer not related to the applicant in any capacity.
For the documents in languages except for English, the documents must be translated by designated personnel and submitted with the original document.
Character certificates and other identity documents are necessary with the application.
- For questions regarding the Australian citizenship processing time, one has to understand that each category has a certain process chart, while the time is 5 -6 days for an evidence of citizenship application, it may take as long as 2 months for migrant with permanent residence or a refugee entrant.
- For most categories, applicants are required to appear for a citizenship test in regards to language knowledge and adequate knowhow of the responsibilities and privileges of an Australian citizen.