The Ministry of Home Affairs, Australia, has a special visa for students that allow them to stay inside the Australian territory for the duration of 5 years for their selected course. This visa is known as the student visa subclass 500. The course must be registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students or CRICOS and it must be a full-time course within the stipulated time of five years in any recognized Australian institution. This visa also permits the students to bring their families into the country. The student visa 500 can be availed for many courses subject to their eligibility under the Australian visa guidelines, and the foreign students can apply for it to study any course of their liking. However, the level and extent of documentation to be provided will be determined by the choice of the host institution and the original country of citizenship of the applicant.
There are several regulations that govern the acceptance of the visa subclass 500 which the candidate or their assistors should know of beforehand. During the period the visa is active and functioning, according to one of the conditions, the student has the right to travel elsewhere and return to the country of Australia during the period of validity of the visa. Subject to the fulfillment of the requirements, the student can work for not more than 40 hours in a fortnight, and the course of their choice must have started. There are several other rules to know and strictly follow for an international student, so it would be better to make a checklist. The student must also receive approval from CRICOS about their course of choice. It is better to seek a professional migration agent in Perth help if the students need an explanation about any points and to know the correct procedure of application of the visa.
What Student Visa 500 Lets You Do In Australia?
There are several benefits to enjoy if the applicant gets an approved student visa 500. However, the conditions of the visa must be stringently fulfilled to continue enjoying the aids. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of the visa. The student visa benefits are given below:
- The students can stay in Australia for the duration of their course.
- The application can be done online from in and outside Australia.
- The students are permitted to work for 20 hours a week during the class in session and for unlimited time during the course breaks.
- The holder of the visa can travel to and from Australia for multiple times.
- The family members of the visa holder can visit the country subject to the fulfillment of certain conditions.
Student Visa 500 Requirements
The requirements for student visa 500 are to be achieved for the sanction of the visa and documentary evidence is to be provided to the relevant authority. The student visa subclass 500 necessities are not fixed and it may change according to the application. The student visa 500 requirements are given below:
The scholar and their family must have suitable and acceptable health insurance from a sanctioned Australian insurance company during the period of their visit.
The student must arrange for evidence of suitable financial provisions to stay in Australia along with appropriate welfare provisions if he or she is aged below 18 years.
The visa rules specify that the applicant must go back to his homeland after the course has been completed or after five years, whichever is earlier.
The students and their adult family members (above 18 years) must fulfill the health and character prerequisites.
- Requirements for proficiency in the English language
The student must make the grade in any one of the below-mentioned English language tests. The compulsory marks and rank for application are provided below:
|English language tests||Minimum obtainable score||At least 10 weeks English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) and Minimum score||no less than 20 weeks ELICOS minimum score|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||5.5||5||4.5|
|TOEFL internet-based test ||46||35||32|
|Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English)||162||154||147|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)||42||36||30|
|Occupational English Test||B for each test module||N/A||N/A|
Eligibility Criteria For Student Visa 500
The general rules and regulation of the Student Visa Subclass 500 are multivariate and depends on the fulfillment of several points. To avail entry by visa subclass 500 into a CRICOS- registered course in an accredited Australian institute, the applicant must provide a Certificate of Enrollment (CoE) with their application. There are several other rules in the guidelines of student subclass 500 which must be stringently fulfilled to avail a positive response for the application. The important visa subclass 500 conditions are listed as:
The age of the candidate must be 6 or more if he or she is putting an application as a student of school under this visa. For advanced classes, the following rules have to be followed:
- The applicant must be less than 17 years in the ninth year.
- When starting Year 10, the age must be below 18.
- At the beginning of Year 11, the age must be less than 19.
- At the start of Year 12, the age must be below 20.
Confirmation of the enrolment into any full-time course registered in CRICOS is compulsory for the application of the student visa subclass 500. Without a CoE, the visa application will be deemed null and void. Applicants inside Australia will have to confirm their enrollment into a full-time study course. For multiple courses, all the CoE codes have to be provided. The courses should be linked and must not have a gap of more than two months.
The applicant will not have to provide a CoE if he or she is:
- Registered in a full-time course of study or training under a grant scheme sanctioned by the Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade and provides a letter of support.
- Sponsored by the Australian Department of Defense: provide a letter of support
- A secondary exchange student accompanied by an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form
- A master’s research student who needs to halt in Australia while his or her thesis is marked: a letter from the education provider must be provided.
The applicant must not have any account of previous withdrawal or refusal cases.
Applicants of student visa must provide proof of welfare arrangements inside Australia if he or she is aged below 18 years.
- English language requirements
The applicants must provide evidence of qualifying in the approved test(s) for the English language.
- Sufficient health insurance
The applicants and their family members must possess appropriate government-approved health insurance during the stay.
The applicants of visa 500 cannot apply for it if they have the following visa in effect;
- Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
- Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
- Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family associate of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a student visa in Australia.
- Transit visa (subclass 771)
- Visitor visa 600 in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream
- Genuine temporary entrant
The applicant must be a genuine temporary entrant and show intent to return to the home country after completion of the study.
- Health and character requirement
The applicant must qualify in the health and character requirement and also sign the Australian values statement.
The applicant must clear all outstanding debts to the Australian Government.
- Best interest of the child
The visa may not be accepted if it is not in the best interest of a person under 18.
Student Visa 500 Checklist
Before applying for the visa, the applicants must prepare and consult their student visa 500 checklist to ensure proper submission. The necessary list requirements for the Student Visa Subclass 500 which must be submitted are:
- Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) Certificate for each of the courses applied.
- Proof of permissible age.
- Proof of relatedness of the courses, and proper documentation to prove admission in the second course within 60 calendar days.
- Proof of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian health insurance provider.
- Evidence of qualification in the tests for the English language hosted by approved providers.
- Proof of health and character requirements.
- Proof of financial and welfare arrangements.
- Undertaking as a genuine temporary entrant.
- Proof of non-holding of specific visas.
- Proof of arrangement of funds for the period of stay.
- Proof of signing the Australian values statement.
- Evidence of payment of outstanding dues to the Australian Government.
- Evidence of non-refusal of previous visas.
Visa Subclass 500 Processing Time
The student visa 500 processing time changes depending on diverse aspects, including the course elected by the student. The deposit of the proper fees is necessary to get the application processed in the shortest time. The usual student visa processing time can be listed as;
|Name of the Visa||Subject (If available)||Processing Time of 75% of applications||Processing Time of 90% of applications|
|Student visa 500||Foreign Affairs or Defence sector||87 days||7 months|
|Postgraduate research Region||4 Months||8 Months|
|Non- award sector||7 days||22 days|
|Schools sector||5 Months||9 Months|
|Independent ELICOS sector||81 days||18 Months|
|Vocational Education and training area||8 Months||16 Months|
|Higher education segment||76 days||7 Months|
The basic eligibility requirements and entitlements of the student visa 500 have been discussed. In case of further details and to apply for hassle-free processing of the visa application regarding your higher education in Australia, get in touch with migration agent Perth today and get visa approval on the very first attempt.