Student Visa Subclass 500 And its Important FAQs

Student Visa Subclass 500 And its Important FAQs

The Australian student visa subclass 500 lets offshore applicants study a particular course of study in Australia, which is registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRIOS), and let them stay in Australia for a period of up to 5 years. But, the student has to be at least 6 years old and not less than to apply for the student visa subclass 500 successfully, and, can apply for it until the time he/she turns 50 years.


An Overview Of The Application Of Student Visa Subclass 500

If you wish you can certainly apply for more than one course with the student visa subclass 500. The system of the student visa subclass 500 is quite easy. All you need to do is to apply for a course of study at a reputed Australian school/university/college. Once, your admission gets approved, your academic organization will give you a Confirmation of Enrolment, so that you can apply for your student visa subclass 500 in a successful manner. However, if the applicant hasn’t turned 18 years yet, then, he/she needs to bring a guardian along with him or her during his or her entire stay in Australia.

Read Our Recent Blog- How To Get PR In Australia With Student Visa 500?

Important FAQs About Student Visa 500

So, given below are some of the most important FAQs related to the student visa subclass 500, which will hopefully help you to get a comprehensive understanding of it.

1. Is It Expensive To Stay In Australia With The Student Subclass 500?

Since the living standard in Australia is quite high, you need to show sufficient funds to the Department of Home Affairs, even when you are applying for the student visa subclass 500. This will prove that the student will be able to pay the fees of his/her visa on time to the Department of Home Affairs as well as meet all the essential expenses to stay in Australia in a stress-free manner.

Besides, you also need to show a minimum financial backup of at least $21,041 to the Department of Home Affairs along with the tuition fees of your first year only if your course’s duration is 12 months or a bit longer than that. Apart from this, accompanying visa applicants, which may include your spouse and kids also need to show a certain amount of financial backup to the Australian immigration department, i.e. $7,362 for your spouse and $3,152 for your kids respectively.

Also, Read- Need To Study In Australia? Know About Student Visa 500 Requirements

2. Is It Necessary To Qualify In The English Language Test Of PTE/IELTS To Apply For My Student Visa?

It is not compulsory to qualify in the test of PTE or IELTS while applying for the student visa subclass 500. Nonetheless, it’s always advisable to get through one so as to substantiate your English language proficiency in Australia. Besides this, there are many other factors that determine the fact that whether the applicant at all requires to sit for an English language test of either IELTS or PTE.

Two of the important factors amongst these are the home country where the student is living as well as his/her nationality. In spite of all this, the student still requires to prove a minimal proficiency in the English language by qualifying in an internal English language test, which will be conducted by his/her academic organization, and, which is completely free of cost.

Also, Read- How To Obtain An Australian Visa Subclass 500

3. Does The Student Visa 500 Allow The Applicant To Work?

Yes, but, only if the applicant wishes to work. However, the applicant cannot work in whatever way he/she pleases, and some restrictions are certainly applicable except if he/she is studying a post-graduation or Ph.D. level program. These permit the applicant to work  20 hours per week or 40 hours fortnightly at the most and not more than.

Besides, the applicant can also work for an unlimited period of time if he/she is going through a semester break. Also, if the applicant’s partner is staying with him/her, then, he/she can also work for the same period of time, i.e. 40 hours per fortnight. It must be noted as well that both you and your partner won’t get entitled to this particular work right unless the course of your study starts. But, once you have finished your course of study, you can resume working for an unlimited period of time in Australia.

4. Is It Possible To Include My Partner’s Name After The Approval Of My Student visa 500?

It is definitely possible to include your partner’s name in your visa application even after it has been approved. But, make sure that you have mentioned your partner’s name while applying for your student visa for the first time, without failure. It’s even more beneficial if you have got married from the time your student visa has been granted.

This way, you can quite easily include your partner’s name in your visa application. So, it’s really important that you mention your partner’s name, no matter whether marital or de facto, during the initial application of your student visa subclass 500, or else it will become quite problematic for you to include your partner’s name in your visa application later on.

5. Does The Student Subclass 500 Allow You To Study Multiple Courses?

Yes, you can study more than one course in Australia with your student visa subclass 500. This particular facility is more commonly known as the ‘package’ system which allows you to apply for multiple courses at a time, that too with a single visa.

6. Should I Apply For My Course Before Applying For My Student Visa?

Yes, you should always apply for the course of study for which you have applied before applying for your Student visa subclass 500, and, this rule is applicable to students of all categories.

7. Which Type, Of Course, Should I Apply For?

Well, you can apply for any course according to your wish. If you want to apply for your student visa subclass 500 successfully, then apply for a course that is registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students or CRIOS.

Get professional help! So, after reading all these FAQs properly, if you also wish to apply for the student visa subclass 500, then, the best Migration Agent Perth can surely help you do that. Whether it’s the course duration, the course fees, or choosing an appropriate academic institution, you can expect a comprehensive service from your migration agent related to your student visa 500.

about the author

Migration Agent Perth specialist in Spouse, work and family visas as well as Visa Refusal and cancellation. Get quality assistance with their visa and migration issues with us.

Migration Agent Perth

Get in touch with us Speak with your migration agent in perth
Migration Agent Perth


  • I was looking for a credible immigration agent on the Internet because I found the visa process to be intimidating and complex. I contacted Migration Agent Perth, WA on the recommendation of a friend. If there was one thing I liked best about Migration Agent Perth, it was their unwavering support.As a complete stranger, the expert team guided me through the process in simple language and assisted me in organising my paperwork. I will be eternally grateful to the visa consultant Perth team for their assistance in making my dream of studying in Australia a reality. I wholeheartedly endorse their services.

    Vandana Tiwari
  • I’ve been using Migration Agent Perth, WA for Visa concerns for a long time. Me and my partner recently went to their office to enquire about our partner visa. Their team was really professional and informed about our needs, and their guidance with visa applications made things much easier for us.I agree that the processes are unpleasant, tedious, and involve a lot of red tape, but I have to applaud Migration Agent Perth’s employees with keeping us on schedule and ensuring that we received our visa. I would recommend them because they are both cost-effective and the best immigration agents in Perth. If you want to get any kind of visa without any hassle, you must go there at least once.

    Nisha Nayak
  • I’d highly recommend Migration Agent Perth, WA if you are applying for an Australian visa. Most of the Australian visas are much costly and have a complex process to apply. I went their office due to my visa application process and they listened me with patience. The Whole team of their visa consultant Perth, is trained under MARA. The staff was extremely positive from the beginning. I would like thank their team of migration experts for genuine care and support throughout visa process. I was very impressed with their positive and calm behavior towards our visa application. They are the highly rated and appreciated Immigration Agent in Perth by their customers. Thanks again for providing me best migration services at affordable rates.

    Nandni Vyas
Enquire Now
Call Us Now
Inquire Now
Call Us Now