Australia has become one of the preferred destinations for international students over the years. It has also gained popularity of having the most suitable living conditions. Most of the students who come here for studies plan to live and work permanently. So if you want to study in Australia, it is indispensable to analyze the prospects of the course you are willing to pursue and how it can increase your chances to get a Australian permanent residency. Well, the first visa you will need for study is a student visa subclass 500.
Overview About Australian Permanent Residency
Permanent residency or PR is a visa that is granted to a non-Australian citizen. The person holding an Australian Permanent Residency visa can live, study and work in Australia without imposed restrictions. The most significant benefit of permanent residency is that a PR enjoys most of the rights and entitlements just as the Australian citizens do. Among the rights that Australian permanent residents get include enrolment in Medicare, which is the national health scheme of the Australian Government.
But a permanent resident cannot get the Higher Education Loan Programme or HELP. HELP is only available for Australian students who want to defer their tertiary education tuition fees. Another difference lies in travel. An Australian citizen can leave or enter the country at any time he or she wishes, but a permanent visa with a valid travel authentication will be required for a PR. After a certain period, a permanent resident can apply for Australian citizenship.
What Are The Benefits of Having Australian Permanent Residency?
Getting Australian Permanent Residency has quite a few benefits. Here are some of them you need to know:
- If you’re a travel freak, then this visa will be appropriate for you. You can travel from one corner to another within Australia, without any restriction.
- You can happily pursue higher education and apply for educational loans other than HELP.
- As a foreign national, you will undoubtedly require social security, and after two years of completion of your PR visa, you will get that social security benefits.
- If your family members also want a PR visa, you can happily help.
- You can also apply for government jobs pretty easily.
- Last but not least, you can fly to New Zealand and apply for a visa there, too.
What Is The Eligibility To Get PR in Australia?
You will first need Visa subclass 500 for study in Australia. After your academics, you can apply for any temporary visa which will act as a stepping stone to permanent residency. To obtain a Australian Permanent Residency visa in Australia, you have to meet the following eligibility.
- Point’s eligibility: You should have scored at least 65 on the point grid. The point values are different for different eligibility requirements like English language score, age, work experience in and outside Australia, a study in a regional area, state sponsorship and many more. You can find the different point values against all these requirements on their official website. The more your score on the eligibility calculation, the brighter will be your chances of getting a PR visa.
- Age: Your age should range from 18 to 45 years. The less your age, the more points you will get.
- English language proficiency: For an 8 band IELTS score, you can get a maximum of 20 points. Apart from IELTS, you can sit in other tests like TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic or Cambridge. All of them have different numbering systems. Prior to your application, you must check for the score equivalent to 8 bands of IELTS.
- Skilled occupation lists: Usually, there are three categories of skilled occupation lists from which you have to choose the suitable one which is currently acceptable for migration in Australia. The three categories are a. medium and long-term strategic skills list, b. short-term skilled occupation list and c. regional occupation list. You have to choose an occupation from which is present on any one of these three lists. Professional employment experience outside Australia for a substantial period will earn you enough points. If you have 8-10 years of experience, you can get the maximum points of 15. Fewer experiences subsequently will earn you fewer points. Migration Agents Perth can guide you in this regard.
- Educational qualification: A doctoral degree will earn you 20 points, which is the maximum value. Points will lower with lesser academic qualifications.
How To Become A Permanent Resident?
After completing your study, you will have the following visa options to apply for a Australian Permanent Residency.
- Post Study Work Visa (Subclass 485): This 485 Subclass visa will allow you to work while studying for two years without any restrictions. If you have completed a two-year study program, like a Bachelor’s or a Master’s program, you are eligible to apply for this visa. If you neither have any sponsor nor score well in the skilled migration test, this visa is suitable for working and living in Australia as a PR.
- Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189: Visa Subclass 189 is applicable for those foreign individuals who get an invitation to Australia because they are equipped with skills required by the Australian Government. Applicants should have no employer or government sponsor. With the skilled independent visa 189, you can live and work anywhere in this country. You don’t need any sponsor or nominator but the government invitation.
- Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190: 190 Visa Australia pretty similar to the previous one, except the applicant should have a state or territorial government sponsor to apply. Otherwise, in both cases, you must get an invitation to apply and will be allowed to live and work at any place in Australia.
How To Increase Chances Of Gaining PR After Studying In Australia?
There are several ways to increase your chances of getting PR after studying in Australia. You can gather the necessary work experience and language skills with the help of Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 after completing your academic course. You can also go for a more advanced qualification and improve your English language knowledge. Professional development programs or PYPs are professional development programs that you can choose to experience a unique combination of formal learning and workplace experience. PYPs are available in accounting, engineering and computer science.
Immigration Agent Perth has a good number of migration consultants with profound knowledge and experience. For any queries, you can contact them at their number.